Friday, March 5, 2010

Days 49-53: Going from 1 to 2

For the better part of my running “career” (or experiences), I have run alone. There have been a few times where I have had various family members run with me on foot or ride next to me on a bike. I have always enjoyed running with a partner, but never had someone to run with consistently. Most times the person I am running with is way too fast, and I spend the entire run apologizing and struggling to keep up. They usually don’t run with me again after that. Many of my friends, while all very active, don’t run or don’t particularly like running. This always seems to come back to me running alone, sitting inside my head, working on mental puzzles day after day.

That is, until this week. I think sometimes that when you stop looking for something is when it comes out of nowhere and slaps you in the face. I have always wanted a running/training buddy, but no one has ever wanted to a) do the distances I run, b) put as much time into running/training as I want to or c) hang out with me that much (and that last one refers to having to hear me whine about the distance, huff and puff on sprints, and tell long winded stories about my friends). Every time I make a new friend, I try to figure out quickly if they are a runner and from there determine if I like them enough to see if I want to run with them. Having a running partner is awesome, because it keeps you accountable and you almost always have a great time. It’s like a double whammy of awesome; spend time with someone you enjoy being around and can laugh with and get some endorphins while doing it. However, finding a partner to run with is not always easy. Most of the time you just have to stop looking and that person ends up right next to you on the trail.

It’s also important to be open to other endurance sports, since many people who do other sports also have to run/train and will be happy to run with you. Within a few days of meeting my running (and soon to be biking and swimming) partner, she convinced me to train for a half ironman. A half ironman is a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride, and 13.1 mile run, adding up to a total for a 70.3 mile ironman. Well I know I can run 13.1 mile and I loved endurance activities, so I agreed. You are probably now thinking, that I have crossed the threshold from mildly odd to completely insane. Or at least that’s what one woman at work thought. Why not start with a smaller distance triathlon and work up to the ironman,? Well that’s just not how I roll. My first serious race was a half marathon, and my second a marathon. My fourth/fifth serious race will be a 50 mile trail race. Eventually I will run the Western States and Badwater ultramarathons. So let’s just be clear, distance activities are my thing. I am not the slightest bit interested in doing a 1500m, 5000m or 10,000m race. I am never putting on a pair of racing spikes. I have no interest in running a sub 6 minute mile. And most of all, I could care less about setting a PR (I think I’ve mentioned this before, but if not PR = Personal Record). For me, it is all about the distance.

So today, my running partner and I decided we will in fact begin training for the 70.3 ironman in July. I figure this is also a great way to get my fitness up to an extremely high level just as I begin training for the 50 miler. By splicing in swimming and biking into my running schedule, I will gain endurance and give my knees time to rest in between runs. My cardio workouts will undoubtedly still be extremely strenuous, but the swimming and biking is low impact and therefore knee friendly. Mostly I am just excited about trying something so intense and so new. To do 70.3 miles in a day may seem insane to some people, but to me it sounds like a blast. I also feel like I have a bit of an advantage training with someone who has done these races before and knows what they are doing. Right now I have to find a bike, because that is one thing I don’t have. The biking portion of the race is also the only part I’m actually nervous about. I have faith in my swimming abilities and I know I am a solid runner, but I haven’t biked for a long distance in a very very long time. I am grateful that I have a little time to find a good (and hopefully cheap) bike before we start seriously training on the bikes. In the mean time, well, swim training starts on Sunday. I am fully prepared to spend the next 9 months completely exhausted.

Anyway, back to running with a partner. Tuesday’s run was the first “partner run.” We agreed on about 3 miles and a quick pace. I knew that she runs fast miles and was prepared for an ass kicking. I also knew there was a good chance I would have to drop off at some point and slow down, because I am a slow runner. However, with all of this said, I was determined to show that I am a strong runner and a worthy running partner. There is nothing more embarrassing then your running partner ditching you because you’re not good enough. I also believe in constant learning, so if I train with someone who is better or faster than me, they will help me grow in my weak spots and sustain the strengths that I do have. So the first mile out of the gate was very near to seven minutes. I usually run 9-10 minute miles and was struggling at this new and enhanced pace. But after the first mile we slowed down to a 7:30-8 minute per mile pace, which was slightly more bearable. I was very happy that I could still talk while running, even if I was gasping for breath a lot. I really felt the lactic acid searing through my legs as I ran but almost in a good way. I liked that I was being challenged to push harder than I had ever run before. I also really enjoyed not having knee pain while running. I think the fractures have officially healed. As we ran, we talked about life and work, the usual things people talk about when running. It was very comforting to have someone there when we went past a sketchy part of town. I also liked the comradery of running with someone else. It feels fun to have a workout partner; they definitely keep you honest about your workout.

So we finished just less than 4 miles in about 30 minutes. I was winded and worn, but smiling like a kid in a candy store. I love running and being able to share a run with someone else is a great feeling. First step 7 minute miles, next step 70.3 ironman. I love it.

Bring on the training.

No comments:

Post a Comment