Thursday, July 15, 2010

Day 186: The Plan

Maybe, just maybe, it is a wee bit preemptive of me to give myself a plan for training since I have not yet received confirmation that I am going to be accepted into this race, but what the hell. I figure if I don't get accepted into this one, I'll find a back up and I will figure something out. It's better to be prepared in the long run.

So below is my current plan. It is my own version of a hybrid of several different "newbie" plans that I found on several different ultra running websites. Today is the Thursday highlighted in orange.

The first chart below is laid out in miles:

Week Number

M

T

W

T

F

S

S

Total

1

2

3

4

2

--

8

6

25 miles

2

--

2

4

4

--

12

6

28 miles

3

--

2

3

4

--

14

8

31 miles

4

--

2

4

6

--

10

8

30 miles

5

--

4

4

6

--

18

10

42 miles

6

--

4

6

6

--

20

10

46 miles

7

--

4

6

8

--

22

10

50 miles

8

--

4

8

6

--

10

8

36 miles

9

--

4

8

8

--

22

10

52 miles

10

--

4

10

8

--

22

10

54 miles

11

--

4

10

8

--

24

10

56 miles

12

--

4

10

6

--

10

8

38 miles

13

--

4

12

8

--

24

10

58 miles

14

--

4

12

8

--

26

10

60 miles

15

--

4

12

8

--

26

10

60 miles

16

--

4

10

8

--

16

10

48 miles

17

--

4

6

6

--

10

6

32 miles

18

4

3

2

--

--

Race Day (50 miles)

--

59 miles

This is the same plan in minutes and hours instead of miles:

Week Number

M

T

W

T

F

S

S

1

2

3

4

25min

--

1.5hrs

1 hr

2

--

25min

45min

45min

--

2.4hrs

1hr

3

--

25min

30min

45min

--

2.5hrs

1.5hrs

4

--

25min

45min

1hr

--

2hrs

1.5hrs

5

--

45min

50min

1hr

--

2.6hrs

2hrs

6

--

45min

1hr

1hr

--

4hrs

2hrs

7

--

45min

1hr

1.5hrs

--

4.5hrs

2.5hrs

8

--

45min

1.5hrs

1hr

--

2hrs

2hrs

9

--

45min

1.5hrs

1.5hrs

--

4.5hrs

2hrs

10

--

45min

1.5hrs

1.5hrs

--

4.8hrs

2.5hrs

11

--

45min

1.5hrs

1.5hrs

--

5.5hrs

2hrs

12

--

45min

1.5hrs

1hr

--

2.5hrs

1.5hrs

13

--

30min

2hrs

1.5hrs

--

5.5hrs

2hrs

14

--

45min

2hrs

1.5hrs

--

6.5-7hrs

2hrs

15

--

45min

2hrs

1.5hrs

--

6.5hrs

2.5hrs

16

--

45min

2hrs

1.5hrs

--

3hrs

2hrs

17

--

45min

1hr

1hr

--

2hrs

1hr

18

50min

30min

25min

--

--

Race Day

--

So this is what I have created. While I am extremely excited for all of this, I also find myself getting the beginning of Real pre-race jitters. Before the MCM and all the ½’s I’ve done , I felt no fear. I don’t say that to make myself seem like a bad-ass or anything, but I just wasn’t afraid or running the distance. I knew I had trained properly and was prepared. This is new. This is a big deal. First of all it is 50 miles. Most people cannot fathom traversing 50 miles in anything other than a car. There are a select few people then who can imagine it, but on a bike. And then there are a few folks who are like I can hike that far. Then at that bottom of the barrel are the people like me who think, yeah, okay, I can run that. Am I nuts? Probably. Am I masochistic? There is a chance. Am I going to do it? Oh, boy you can bet your bootstraps, I will.

Over the last month and change, I have gone through some different problems including hurting my leg again, missing the 70.3 event (due to the leg injury), getting a bit burned out on running, getting a bit burned out on life, and you know everything else. Hence the supreme lack of posts to this blog. I have been running, but most of my runs have been under 6 miles and were for the most part mediocre at best. After I injured my leg again, I didn’t do much of anything for about a week. Then I started back on the elliptical, just like last time. Eventually, surprise, surprise, I got bored of the elliptical and started running again. Last Sunday, I decided that since I have logged easily 1000 miles in my old Brooks, that I would go find myself a new pair. This new pair of running sneakers came with some surprises too. After going to the local shoe store, having them watch my walking gait, watch my running gait, measure my feet, bring out 10 pairs of shoes, I eventually found myself a new best friend. Before I go any further let me say that every time you go shoe shopping for a new pair of running shoes, you should be “re-fitted” for you shoes. As you age, your feet change, your stride changes, etc. and the shoe that was amazing for you 3 years ago, now is obsolete. Basically don’t walk into a store thinking, I know everything I need, be open and see. When I first started running, I used to overpronate, lean to the outside of my foot, and was a heel striker. During that time the Brooks GTS Adrenaline, which is a basic stability shoe, with an orthodic insole, did the trick for me. Now, some three odd years later, I have worked very hard on my form and can say with confidence (and the new shoes to prove it) that I do not pronate at all, I no longer lean to the sides of my foot, and I am a mid-foot striker. This puts me into a neutral cushioned shoe, and if I so choose I can still wear my Smartfeet insoles to prevent me from pronating at all. In the end, I decided to jump from the Brooks ship to that Asics boat. I was tied up for a while between the Asics GEL-Cumulus 12 and the Asics GEL-Nimbus 12. Both were a fantastic fit, but in the end it came down to which gripped the heel better and I chose the Nimbus. I may have liked the name better because it reminded me of the Broom Harry Potter rides called the Nimbus 2000, but let’s not harp on that. Anyway, I chose this shoe because of its amazing level of cushioning, its grip on my foot, the structure and design, and how cool it looks (What!?! Everyone does this, give me a break). Also apparently, in Japan, where Asics is located, they have a store where you go in and they put you one a treadmill, do a series of crazy tests and then custom make your shoe, the fit, the insole, everything. If anyone ever gets a chance, I guess this is the best way to get the best shoe for you, long as you want an Asics. Feeling very happy about my new purchase I brought the shoes home and began our bonding process. For the first time in a few months, my knees feel okay when I run. I usually take that as a good sign from my running shoes.

Today was the first day I committed myself to my training plan. Though I have been running for the past week, today was my first official “training” run and thus landed me back in the saddle. I am excited about this and am looking forward to future runs in these new shoes and with this new plan. Hopefully the next entry will include the great news of my registration being accepted into the JFK 50 Miler!! Have a good one y’all.

***

I want to use the end of this post to point out some really phenomenal resources which are out there an available to trail/distance runners:

Runner’s World: This magazine and website is stellar. These guys have really brought running into the mainstream and they have a WEALTH of resources for runners of EVERY type.

www.runnersworld.com

This is Ultra Running (magazine)’s ultra race/running calendar. This is the best resource I have found for U.S. (and some global) ultra running events. I was able to utilize this site to find the ultra event I am going to run.

http://www.ultrarunning.com/calendar.html

This is the website for “Ultra Ladies Running Club.” I believe they are based out of CA, but their training plans are excellent. I used their “newbie” 50 miler plan as the starting point of my plan.

http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/index.asp

Active.com has a lot of information about running. Some of it is more helpful that other bits, but you have a lot to choose from.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/The-Mental-Side-of-Running.htm

This website, EX2 Adventures, is a MD, DC, VA based company that puts on races in these areas. The races tend to be smaller, but they are almost all trail races. They also advertise for Tri events.

http://www.ex2adventures.com/md-10k-trail-runs.php

Trail Running Online, is another great resource for beginner runners looking for advice on moving to trail running and for seasoned trail runners looking for a wealth of trail assistance (injury advice, nutrition, etc.) They also have tons of simply entertaining trail running related articles.

http://www.trailrunnermag.com/article_list.php?id=5

I hope these resources are helpful to you. Have a great one!

No comments:

Post a Comment