So I drove to NY on Friday, and got in just in time because about 15 minutes after I arrived it started to down pour. And pour, and dump, and storm, and just be ridiculous outside. While eating the biggest-pre-endurance-event-meal EVER, we listened to the storm bashing things apart outside and I started to get a bit nervous. The trickling of thoughts in my brain as I stuffed my face: 'What if it doesn't let up? What if we have to ride in the rain? Can I even ride in the rain with the slicks on my bike!?! What if I get struck by lightening? This is bad news.' But around 9pm the storm let up some, and it was just rain. I fell asleep on the couch (as always) listening to the rain, trying to wrap my mind around the distance I would cover tomorrow.
The alarm blared itself into my sleepy mind at 4:45am. I noticed the house was quiet and took this as a bad sign. No one else was awake yet. I pride myself on very few things, but waking up, getting up, and ready to go extremely quickly are one of my strongest points. It's an odd skill, but in times like 'Shit, we have to get up and do a huge ass bike ride in an hour,' or 'Eff, we are going to miss our red-eye flight home, must get up now,' or 'F*** I'm gonna be late for class if I don't get my ass out of bed this second,' it comes in quite handy. I am stellar at waking up and being ready to go within 5 minutes, that ladies and gentlemen is my number one skill. So I was up, out of bed, and ready to get everyone else up in about 2 minutes. Rushing into our kitchen, I discovered Greg was already up and making us some Earl Grey tea. :) Feeling relieved that I was not in charge of the morning wake-up call, I made some cereal and drank my tea in a relaxed fashion.
Greg and I chatted for awhile about our expectations for the day and how psyched we both were. I was a bit nervous, but over-riding my nervousness was that constant un-yielding crazy voice saying, "LET'S DO THIS!" So I changed into my new fancy cycling shorty-shorts, equipped with a lovely crotch pad for cushioning, and 3 shirts (come on, it's me, would you expect any less?). Before long the bikes were loaded on the truck and we were headed to the start line. The nervous-bottomless stomach feeling I usually get before these things had subsided and it started to sink in just what we were about to go do. I was betting it would take us about 12 hours to finish, so we'd be on the road for quite some time. The only thing I really cared about was that my butt would fair okay with that hard ass (no pun intended) bike seat. This had been my biggest issue to date. But it was too late to change my mind now.
So we unloaded the bikes and got set up to go. It was hard not to start people watching with the massive crowd of people everywhere. I don't think I've ever seen so many cyclists in one area before in my life. It was this crazy mix of extremely fit people with beautiful bikes, fancy cycling clothes, and shoes with the clip pedals and regular Joes riding for teams or just for fun. I was so excited to get going, but we took some pre-trip pictures and headed over to the stop sign, which marked the start area in Babylon. But you could start whenever you wanted so it wasn't a huge crowd. Here's a picture of me before we started in the early AM. :)
| Before the start of the journey. |
Shortly after we started we saw our first flat tire. It's a classic scene, bike upside down on the side of the road, tire off, 3-4 cyclists stumbling around hands covered in grease, pushing and pulling on rubber tires. They had it all together so we kept riding, and about 5 minutes after that we saw our first roadkill, a very flat squirrel. We decided at this point that we should keep a running tally of both flats and roadkill. Near the end of the trip, this became a really fun way to forget about how tired we were. But the first part of the trip was going pretty well. We were moving along at a steady pace and feeling pretty pumped about the day ahead. As we rode along, Greg gave me great advice to keep loose while riding. I learned such tricks as (yes, I should know these things, but didn't until now) moving my hands around on the handle bars, so they never cramped up in one position, and moving around on my seat, aka - switching butt cheeks so that I didn't go entirely numb. One of the cool things I was looking forward to was the first Aid station at the 25 mile point (which turned out to be at mile 21), because two Thanksgivings ago my mom and I ran a 5K race together starting there and I liked the memory. I also was excited and intrigued to see what food would be served at the aid stations. Since I've recently started to get into trail running and ultra races, I've become increasing obsessed with the food at aid stations. How people respond to different kinds of foods while doing physical exercise really fascinates me and so I was pumped to see what would be offered at Aid station 1.
| Greg and I really excited about making it to Aid Station 1 |
| Nutella + Banana = Happiness |
And off we went again to ride another large set of miles as the sun crept higher into the sky. I am not sure if it was the nutella banana or the endorphin high, but almost immediately, I wanted to go faster. We had been averaging a respectable 10-12 miles per hour for the first 25 miles, but now I was ready to go. This was interesting for me, because usually I get slower as the ride goes on, not having any desire to pedal faster. But whatever it was, the endorphins or sugar, I told Greg I wanted to take it up a notch or two. So for the next 10-15 miles we really hauled ass. I think at one point we got up to 26 mph. It was really exciting. Then as we were pushing along, passing "fun riders" (like fun runners, only on a bike, usually a Schwinn), we saw/encountered our first of two major accidents. The woman went down about a minute before we rode up and was lying in the middle of the street. Luckily all vehicle traffic stopped and Greg and I leapt off our bikes to help. She was conscious, but very out of it. Greg asked her if she knew her name and where she was. She knew the answers to those questions, but was clearly disoriented and foggy. At least 3 people popped out cell phone and called an ambulance and the race director for assistance. We made sure she was okay and then I got the bike out from under her. While it was a serious accident because she went down pretty hard, she only had minor road rash on her arms and leg, and probably just some bumps which would bruise up later. It was pretty scary seeing someone go down like that. After we'd determined she did not have a concussion or any broken bones, we moved her to the side of the road onto the grass where she was able to sit up. After that we could hear the ambulance approaching, so we got back on our bikes and decided to head off and let the paramedics do their job. As we started back on our journey to Aid station 2, Greg said, "And that's why you HAVE to eat on rides like these." It was very clear that the lady didn't have any food supplies with her, not enough water, and predictably seriously bonked and the bike skidded out from under her as a she lost consciousness and fell over. She could have been killed had a car not been paying attention and hit her when she went down. So for all of my friends who like to ride bikes, please pay attention to your body's needs and don't try to be a bad-ass and push through bonking. It wont work and you could get hurt... And always wear a helmet. Looking cool is nowhere's an important as, you know, not splitting your skull open on the concrete. Just saying.
The next 10 miles or so we went through some interesting "ghetto" neighborhoods and began to get to the really nice parts of the island. While I was still super energetic and wanting to ride like the wind, my enthusiasm was tempered by seeing the woman go down and that image was very fresh in my mind. So we still rode pretty hard to Aid station 2, but much more cautiously. I have always been terrified of falling and or crashing on my bike, so I didn't want to be one of the injured people on the ride. During this portion we also saw about 5 more flats, and 3 varmints (road-kill). It was great fun and our energy levels were super high as we pulled into Aid Station 2 (mile 50) at a church in West Hampton Beach to see mom waving at us from the side of the road.
| Aid Station # 2 - Mile 50!! |
No comments:
Post a Comment