I am not like other girls.
I have always been a bit of a tomboy.
Don't get me wrong, when I was little I loved dress up.
But now I'd take being free in the wild, un-showered and being loud and foul mouthed any day over done up and pretty.
Many people at this point in my life have pointed out, I am Not a lady.
I always respond with the same sentiment each time I head that,
"No, I am not a lady... I am a woman. I am a woman who is unafraid of dirt, grit, and working hard. I will not be phased by my hands getting dirty (or chalky) or my hair having tangles. I am a woman who looks forward to sweat. I can take care of myself. I have guts. I can hold my own with the boys, and will fight for what I believe. I will rise to meet each challenge and work hard for what I want. And I'll do it with a big ol' goofy smile on my face. So No, I am not a lady. Being a lady is for sissies. I am a woman."
Let me give you some examples:
For starters, I hate brushing my hair. Like HATE it. And I have long hair. At this point, my hair is down around the middle of my chest. It's thin so it knots up easily, but I hate brushing it. Like little-kid-I-am-refusing-to-do-this stubbornness. I just bought my first hair brush a month ago and I still barely use it. I don't know why this is that I hate it so much, but I know that most girls take a lot of pride in their hair. Not me. At least not most of the time.
 |
| My hair, wild and crazy after 5 days of no showers and lots of climbing and sweating. |
Secondly, I have rough hands. This is due mostly to climbing over the last few years, but my hands are strong and rough. They are not delicate and pretty. They are not manicured or "well-maintained." They are definitely Not a lady's hands. But they are mine and I love them. I always tell people that my hands are a perfect yet odd hybrid of both of my parent's hands. My thumb and pointer are like my dad's. They are a bit shorter and muscular. They are strong. My middle finger on down are like my mom's. Those three are more delicate (my mom is pianist and has the most beautiful long fingers) and thinner. The years of climbing have made them strong too, but not quite as beefy as the pointer and thumb. Please note that none of this is a complaint. I love my hands. I think they are awesome. My hands allow me to be a stronger climber and nothing makes me happier than training my hands to be stronger and stronger. I don't think ladies typically train their hands to be strong. Strong hands can be used for many things:
 |
| Strong hands can replace the catalytic converter on a car |
 |
| Strong hands help you boulder when your dad is in the hospital and keep your heart light. |
 |
| Your hands can become 10x stronger than they were when you were only climbing routes, if you boulder |
 |
| But your hands might just be always and forever chalky |
 |
| Sometimes your hands are good for things other than climbing, like drinking beer! |
 |
| But mostly they are good for climbing in amazing places like Shelf Rd |
 |
| This is how you train your hands to be strong |
 |
| Sometimes strong hands are used for holding babies (not mine!!) |
 |
| Or sometimes they catch most of the blood after you play face/skull smash with your best friend's dog |
 |
| Your hands help you try on lots of hats |
 |
| They are also can be used to hold food |
 |
| Your hands can be used to identify climbing routes that you did (but really did not) enjoy leading |
 |
| They also can be used for gathering food |
 |
| The best thing your hands can be used for? High fives with best friends |
 |
| These are my hands; dirty, chalky, and strong. |
Another reason I am not a lady? I have muscles. Not only do I love my muscles, but I work hard to stay strong and keep my muscles. Most ladies would probably say muscles are for men. Well that's dumb. Strong muscular women are waaaaaaaay hotter, I think, than skinny stick figure ladies. All of my girlfriends are strong women who take a lot of pride in their muscles.
 |
| Muscles make you a strong climber |
 |
| Knowing you are strong helps you push yourself to do things that scare you. |
 |
| Muscles also definitely help you knit. Haha! |
 |
See? Having muscles allows you to do this.
Another reason for my lack of lady-ness: I LOVE FOOD. I eat a lot and I have never been one of those girls to hold back how much I eat in front of a guy. I think food is fantastic and should be thoroughly enjoyed. Here are some (a lot) pictures of meals I was lucky enough to gobble down:
|
 |
| I don't remember who made this for me, but it was so good. |
 |
| Best Breakfast I've ever made |
 |
| Both the sushi and the fried rice behind it were mine |
 |
| I bake pie... |
 |
| ... I eat pie. |
 |
| Cupcake baking day! |
 |
| Cookie baking day! |
 |
| Pie baking day! |
 |
| Brooklyn's Best |
 |
| I also drink a substantial amount of beer |
 |
| There is a lot of pie baking in my life. |
 |
| Hahahahaha! That's me. |
 |
| Camping dinner... when you camp with chefs. |
 |
| More beer, and a Marg. |
 |
| Birthday Cake for my favorite! |
 |
| Post-hiking beer! |
 |
| My favorite meal EVER: Steak and Spaghetti |
 |
| Dinner at the Red River Rockhouse in KY |
 |
| Breakfast at the Rockhouse! and the Goose Cup! |
 |
| ELK FOR DINNER! |
 |
| Glenwood Canyon Beer |
 |
| Yesterday's Breakfast: A heaping plate of ham, eggs, and veggies |
That was a lot of food. And pictures, I know. I got carried away. But I really really enjoyed all of that food. And I don't think ladies enjoy anything, let alone food. So I'm gonna continue being a woman and enjoy eating as much as I please. :)
Lastly, we will talk about the least lady-like thing ever: Feet. Feet are not lady-like, but our feet are probably the most important part of the body. My feet are pretty rugged. They never used to be, but once I started running long distance and climbing, they became "ugly." I love them and think they are fantastic, but they don't look great for going out in a dress and sandals. Haha! Years of running and climbing has molded them in some interesting ways. They are somewhat oddly shaped, thin little heel, and wide forefoot. I have callouses ALL OVER THEM from climbing. I have literal knobs on the joints of my first toe, callouses along all of the toes, and the bottoms of my feet... well let's just say going barefoot is not a problem for me. But what they lack in pretty looks they make up for in strength and power. My feet are very strong. Even after my ankle injury, my feet have developed a fair amount of muscles. They have carried me hundred of miles and up and along many climbs. I consistently am reminded when climbing or on a run, that they are the strongest part of me and without them I wouldn't be able to do any of the things that I love.
 |
| One of my first pictures of my feet. Look how soft and girly they are!! Yuck! |
 |
| My first pair of "real" running shoes |
 |
| With a Chaco tan |
 |
| Guess which one is mine? Feet in South Africa 2006 |
 |
| On Block Island <3 |
 |
| Post 16 mile trail race |
 |
While reading... upside down in the chair
|
 |
| Covered in sand |
 |
| Decked out in running garb |
 |
Realizing your sports force you to wear two VERY different size shoes, Climbing shoe size: 35.5-36, Running shoe size 7.5-8 |
 |
| Loving life in mismatched socks |
 |
| Hanging out with my favorite sea creature |
 |
| Finding the love of one's life, my Katanas size 36 |
 |
| In sandals |
 |
| In Solutions, size 37 |
 |
| Mine and my best friend's shoes pre-10+ mile run |
 |
| Then sometimes you fall bouldering and tear all of the ligaments in your ankle... |
 |
| But you eventually start healing... |
 |
| And you climb with two different sized shoes for a while |
 |
But you do heal, and end up running with your best friend again (for 6 miles)...
|
|
 |
And you climb outside in your favorite shoes, both the same size this time |
 |
| And you wear hiking boots on your healing feet |
 |
And sometimes, when the guy is worth it, you dress up those "ugly" rough feet and make them look real pretty. |
 |
| They take you on adventures to waterfalls... |
 |
And get placed at odd angles while sleeping in your truck on a road trip |
 |
| They get dirty while hiking in the desert |
 |
| Sometimes you give them a break in the pool |
 |
| But they carry you everywhere your heart desires, and then some. |
Long (photo) story, short? I am not a lady and I'm proud of that. I am very happy with who I am, who I've grown into even if I am not your typical ordinary girly girl. Even if I clash with a lot of society's view on what I should be. Even if I'm not a lady. Cause I like what I am better.
Happy 4th of July everyone!!
Just an FYI to anyone reading these, they are long winded and more like journal entries. If you want a race report or a short summary of a running experience, look elsewhere. Please don't write nasty negative comments. Thank you. :)
ReplyDelete