Every year New Years comes and goes without much thought from me about changes or inspiration. In fact, usually I am massively annoyed by New Years and the whole concept of "resolutions." I work at a climbing gym where I see my fair share of people all gung-ho with their New Years Resolutions ready to make themselves into a new person, only to fall off the wagon 3 weeks in. I don't have a whole ton of faith in humans and their ability to hold themselves to some sort of standard that they set. Very few people actually can do that and are that motivated.
I haven't written a New Years Resolution list since 2009, but the writing of that list I remember rather vividly. I was in Philadelphia at this hole-in-the-wall corner diner, which was the only place open besides bars at 2am New Years Day. I wrote down my resolutions (which were more like wishes) on a napkin. I felt that there was some symbolism in writing down the words on that napkin, like maybe this time I really will travel more. Ha. Anyway, it has been 6 years since then and I have forgotten how ridiculous resolutions are, so I've made another list.
Let's call these "Year End Goals" instead of "resolutions":
- Climb a V7 outside. Potato Chip, I'm looking at you.
- Take the GREs and apply to grad school for Psychology.
- Learn how to drink in moderation (I spent the last year mostly sober, because I wanted to make sure I wasn't an alcoholic and the medication I was on had a less than favorable reaction to me drinking. Now I know I am not an alcoholic and am on different meds and I am ready to phase alcohol (mainly good craft beers and solid wines) back in, in a slow healthy manner with dinner here and there).
- Cook more meals (or at least use my Vitamix more).
- Finish at least one scarf that I have started knitting in the last year.
- Take my dogs on more adventures at altitude, aka MORE HIKING.
- Help my best friend move to Colorado.
- Get two of the remaining four tattoos in my tattoo story.
So that's it. That is my meager list, and honestly it is only the first two that I really want to accomplish, everything else is icing on the cake. I am hopeful for this year and that it will be better than the one before. Less dramatics, more leaps of faith, less fear of falling, and a little more love.
Good luck to me!
Good luck, Emma! I make resolutions every year and yes, they are usually silly, but then again many of my bigger 'resolutions' have been accomplished (i.e. moving to Boulder, moving to Utah, spending more time outside, etc.). I think if you make resolutions that are in line with the things you truly, deeply want, then they have a tendency to come to fruition. For me, it's mostly just a time I like to reflect on what means the most to me and make sure I'm devoting the time to the things that are important in my life. Anyway, just my ramblings, but I hope you get all of your resolutions this year! And Dingo and I will help you with that hiking one! xoxo Sarah
ReplyDelete