Saturday, January 23, 2010

Day 12: Trail vs. Road

By now anyone reading knows that a few months ago, I began the healing process for a badly fractured tibia and kneecap. The cause of this injury was over zealous half and full marathon training back to back. During my training, I not only logged ridiculously high weekly mileage for the distance I was training for, but I also increased my mileage too quickly. This is very common with new runners and often causes them to get serious injuries and drop their long term running pursuits. Obviously, injury has had no such impact on my running goals. Its just enhanced my desire to try other (as possibly more arduous) running experiences.

Now, about a week ago, I started running again very slowly and cautiously. One of the things that has recently become of great interest to me is the pros and cons of trail running. Before I decided to go and fracture my leg to bits, I read a book, which I have referenced before (Born to Run), which caused me to start thinking about distance running and endurance athletes. This then propelled me to go ahead and plan to do an ultra distance race. Sometime during all of this I came to the realization that distance running (almost all ultras in fact) are done on trails.

After reading an article in Runner’s World, I decided that trails are the best type of surface for runners who wish to improve their brain-foot coordination skills and protect past knee and calf injuries. Trails are lower impact than the road or a treadmill and are better for your legs. Running on grass or trails also gives you a better cardiovascular boost and provides more cushioning than road running. However, road running on streets that are paved with tar/gravel give you stability and a sense of what you’ll be running on if you choose to do any number of road races. Concrete (what sidewalks are made of), everyone seems to agree is just terrible for feet and legs in the long run. Asphalt roads can be great for the average injury free runner, but if you’ve had any type of knee, calf, foot injury, running on the road is very likely to exacerbate it.

After doing some research and planning, I decided that I would do 2-3 of my weekly runs on trails. This then brought me to the next big hurtle. Where am I supposed to find trails near by? If you are deciding about doing some trail runs or hiking or cross backpacking, I recommend a few sites: USA Track and Field Routes, Trail Link, American Trail Running Association, and Trail.com. These all have very comprehensive trails and routes across the US, though I would say that Trail Link is probably the best site. After finding some promising looking trials in my area, I decided to give one a go and see how I fared.

The trail was a very interesting and new experience. I decided to wear a pair of (semi-used for hiking) trail running shoes (Brooks Adrenaline ASR 6) I bought a while ago rather than my beat in Brooks Adrenaline GTS 10s. The Brooks Adrenaline model provides both cushioning and decent support for runners who need some stability in their running shoe (over-under pronators). I am thinking of switching over to the Brooks Infiniti 2, which is a very well cushioned shoe with just a bit of stability. I have yet to find a shoe to run in that feels as good and makes my runs as comfortable as Brooks. In terms of quality brands, they are by far the best of the best. Some people may take issue with this and promote Asics or Nike (blegh) or Mizuno or Saucony and the serious trail runners may say they only use Salomon, Montrail or Vasque or GoLite. Each runner who is trying to find a good shoe to run in for their purposes should absolutely go to a specialty running shoe store and be fitted. Then take the brand and type that you like and go buy it online for cheaper, but please don’t just guess.

Anyway I pulled on my Brooks and took off. I only did 2.3 miles, but most of it was on the trail and it was amazing. I loved how my knees didn’t hurt at all after the run and how running on a trail made me feel more invigorated and “in tune” with the woods. I enjoyed being alone and hearing only birds and squirrels and such. I definitely did feel like I had to work harder on the trail as opposed to my now leisurely seeming runs on the road/paved path. There were several times I skidded in the mud or inadvertently kicked dirt and grit up into my shoes and socks. I also found that if I didn’t slow my pace by about a third that I was in serious danger of injuring myself. I guess this is why most trail races feature longer times out on the course. But all in all it was a fantastic experience and I look forward to the next one.

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment