Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 585: The 20 Mile Training Run

In marathon or ultra-marathon training you get to a point where you really do need to start increasing your mileage. Your long runs turn from 10 milers to 16, 18, and 20 mile runs. You build up in a way that surprises you despite the fact that you know what you're capable of doing. At least that's how it always goes for me; I am always surprised by how far my feet and legs take me.

On Sunday morning, I woke up at 5:30 AM not really all that motivated to run 20 miles. I wanted to believe that I was ready and trained up, but I feared that missing my 18 mile run the weekend before left me vulnerable to a potentially crappy run. I did not have a time goal of any sort and really just wanted t see if I could crank out that mileage without falling apart. So I got dressed in the dark of the camper (I was in NJ with the fams) and went outside to get ready to go. As my Garmin watch lay on the bench charging, I filled my CamelBak with lemon-lime Gatorade and water and helped my mom pack up the snacks I thought I might want while out on the road. **I should mention here that when I say snacks, I do not mean GU's or gels or chews or Sports Beans. I mean: "Hi my name is Emma and I decided to just wing this 20 mile run thing and did not prepare at all, so I am eating honey nut Cheerios, apple sauce, and a pb&j sandwich." While not prepping for this run may not have been the smartest thing, I don't think it was the worst running-related problem I've encountered either. I still managed to bring all the right clothes, shoes, and gear. I just bonked on the food aspect of running.**

Probably my single biggest downfall with running, and the thing that I'll struggle most with as I start running more and more of these ultra/trail-distance events and less road races, is eating. I am not entirely sure if I am alone in this or not, but I have a lot of trouble while eating during a run. My stomach gets all kinds of issues and I have zero interest in food. GUs and gels really gross me out, so I avoid them. Only certain brands of chews don't upset my stomach (Honey Stinger), so I generally stay away from chews unless I make a pit stop at REI/EMS. I can't do anything I have to chew up or is crunchy while running, so bars like Clif Bar, doesn't work. So on the 20 miler I thought, screw it, let's just go with real foods and hope for the best. Little tip I learned from this run, if you're like me and you have the above issues, stop road racing (because let's face it, it's not really that fun anyway and terrible for your legs) and start running trail and ultra events where they let you stop and eat at aid stations. Surprise: STOPPING AND EATING IS BETTER FOR YOU!!! Well, it's better for me anyway.

So we (I on foot and my mom behind me on the bicycle) set off to do a giant circle through Southern Jersey that would equal out to 20 miles. Very quickly we discovered that the original route I was trying to go on didn't exist (yeah for unfinished back roads). So we decided to stay on the shoulder of this one main road and just do 10 out and 10 back. Well, I don't know if any of you have ever run 10 miles along the shoulder of a very long straight and mildly hilly road in Southern Jersey before, but it is BOOOOORRRING. If I wasn't running, I would have fallen asleep. My mom on the bike behind me was even falling asleep. There is not a whole lot of stellar scenery out there.  But we kept each other amused and awake, even though I chose to maintain a nail's pace to make sure my legs would make it. My rule with long training runs has always been, and always will be, to go 1-2 minutes slower than your average easy run pace. Some people don't like this method, but it works for me so that's all I care about.

Since there wasn't a whole lot bouncing around in my head (sorry no really insightful tidbits on this 20 mile run), I'll share with you some of the high lights of the first 13 miles of this run:

1) I used three "pieces" of kinetic tape to tape my ankle and calf, which seemed to hold everything together so well that my ankle pain only cropped up after Mile 7, and which was made "tolerable" with Advil.

2) I "tricked" my mom into making 2 pb&j sandwiches, so that at the turn around point (which ended up being at mile 7) she could also eat one. They were the most delicious pb&j's I've ever had.

3) I had my first "while on a run" woods = bathroom experience. Let me just say, I accept that it sometimes will have to happen, but I still don't like it.

4) We spent a good hour or two discussing the gun shots we were hearing off in the "distance," which was maybe 2-4 miles away. We at first thought, hunters (b/c it was definitely rifles) shooting deer. But I didn't like the thought of the whole Bambi thing. Then we discussed the possibility of the hunters shooting pheasants instead. But then I felt bad for the little birds. Finally I settled on the thought that they were shooting cans. Later we found out that there was a military base near-by and it was actually someone running a rifle range.

5) We saw two very beautiful horses on a farm on the side of the road by an old shack. One of them neighed at us as we passed by. In that one moment, I liked it there and if I had a ranch and horses, right then I'd be finishing my run and coming home to see my horses out in the field. It was a cool moment. :)

6) Road Kill, EVERYWHERE!!! and not the kind you'd think either; it was all dead frogs. I was immensely grossed out and creeped out by this. I did not notice any rivers, streams, lakes near by so I don't know why there was this abundance of frogs, but they were dead on the street in droves. Gross.

7) I learned that I don't know the words to most of the 80's songs that I sing all the time. Mom and I spent a while singing the chorus (only changing the words so they were about running) to "Proud Mary," by Ike and Tina Turner, and humming the parts we didn't know. And let me tell you, if you're not already tired and out of breath while running/biking, try singing as well. :) Super fun though.

Since we turned around at the ~ 7 mile mark (according to my trusty Garmin Forerunner 110), this first portion of the run equalled out to be about 13 miles. We went back to "camp" where the camper was, refueled quickly, and set back out to finish the last 7 miles. For that portion of the run, Mom and my step dad Greg changed up the "cycling behind me as I ran" duties. So she had put in her morning miles and now it was his turn. So we set back off to continue in the direction I'd been heading on the way back. I'd tell you the name of the road, but it changed names SO many times as I ran through like 3 or 4 towns that I gave up trying to remember it. What happened to naming roads good ol' Route ###?

So in a long run like this you hit a point where nothing really matters anymore. You've passed that "I don't like this very much!!!" threshold and any distance further than that is just, "well whatever, just keep truckin'." Were my legs tired? Yes. Was my back sore from the slouching I was doing and then trying to correct? Of course. Was I still having fun? DEFINITELY! Why? Well, I've tried to explain this before, but in a nutshell it's all about accomplishment. Having a goal, setting out to complete it, and knocking your expectations out of the ball park. For me, I never "expect" anything from my runs, I just hope I can make it through whatever distance I've set up for myself (and not get injured in the process). And every time I am so pleasantly surprised at how amazing they are. Though I will say that I was pretty confident at this point in the ability of my legs to carry me a mere 7 miles more. At that point, I knew if I could run 7 feet, I could run 7 more miles.

Here is some tidbits from the last 7 miles:

1) The nice thing about having company on long slow runs like this is that it distracts you from the distance. Most people say it distracts them from the pain, but I've found that the pain is always manageable, but its getting hung up on the distance that always seems to cause set backs for me. I psych myself out with how far I have to go and get all nervous and jittery and then the problems start. But having mom and Greg bike along side me the whole time really took my mind off my chirping Garmin.

2) I had been thinking this whole time that I was the only exercise minded enthusiast in southern Jersey, but about 3 miles into the last 7, Greg and I saw a swarm of cyclists. There was at least 20 guys out there, all in fancy cycling jerseys,  padded (I'm assuming) bike shorts, and those clip-in bike shoes. It made me really happy to see this because I like exercising in places where there are other people exercising. It's not just a "hey we like fitness" thing, but also a safety thing. If there are locals out there riding, they probably do it often and therefore the local car traffic probably expects runners and cyclists on the side of the road and will keep an eye out for them. Or at least so I like to think.

3) Seeing the cyclists sparked up a conversation for me and Greg about how fun our century ride was and how he is planning on doing a ride across America. We talked about some of his logistical plans and how him and my mom plan to have meet ups, how far to go in a day, etc. I am excited about his trip because I plan on doing portions of it with him. It's such a cool idea, and I'm really excited for his journey!

4) Arch supports. Since the tendon issue, I've been wearing custom-made arch support orthotics. They are miniature mountains in my shoes. I can take them out and put them roughly into any shoe I wear (with the exception of my climbing shoes) and they are supposed to provide stability and structure for my weak arches. They honestly do help, because my feet are stronger now and my tendon problems are completely gone. However, I also was instructed to ALWAYS wear them while running. So I usually put them under the shoe's cushion-y insert and they stay there and support my feet and all is well. Except on really long runs. They stay in place and all, but because they are not part of the shoe, there is a tiny amount of friction between the road, shoe sole, orthotic insert, cushion-y insert, sock, and foot. This friction is building up until - Voi-la!  - you have an uncomfortable burning sensation under your arch. I've tried many methods to stop or decrease this issue, but short of not wearing the things, I mainly just have to suck it up. Luckily it did not really act up until the last 3 miles of the run, and again that pain in manageable.

5) Applesauce - Delicious and SUCH a pick-me-up during a run. Nuf' said.

Finishing.

This is probably the best feeling after a long run or race. Knowing that you could hypothetically keeping running for days if you needed to, but you are allowed to stop. We did a loop and some of the campground and then back to our camper where I promptly sat down. I was immensely tired, but also wide awake in a half delirious sort of way. I always have to explain to people that they should Not speak about complex or intricate things with me after a long long run. I literally will be completely unable to comprehend the words coming out of your mouth unless they are simple: "How are you doing?" or "Do you want a cookie?"  or "Here is some ice for your legs." More complex than that and I'm useless for conversing. Best part about post run? My mom bought me a cold coke for after my run and that was probably the tastiest soda I've ever had in my life. Also I got to eat 3 s'mores (my favortie treat ever), without feeling like I was over do-ing it. After a long cool down and some time hanging out in the community pool, I began to come back to myself and feel normal again. This kind of thing may not seem fun to msot people, but nothing beats the level of awesome accomplishment I felt when I saw 20.01 on the Garmin's watch face.

So that is the run report for my first 20 mile run in 2+ years. I think now I am just starting to feel ready for the 50K and MCM. Maybe. :)

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I'm glad it went well for you and that you have it "under your belt". I love the Honey Stinger gels, and I find that most anything else kills my stomach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Elizabeth! Yeah Honey Stinger is an awesome brand, I really love their stuff, it never messes with my increibly-finicky stomach. :)

    ReplyDelete