It should be no surprise to anyone who knows me and/or reads this blog that I love running and every year I run on my birthday. But this year I wanted to step it up a notch; I wanted to do a race. And not just any race. I wanted it to be a trail race and I was looking for something unique. Then I found the Iron Mountain 16 Mile Trail Race and really, with a name like that, did you expect me to pass it up? Of course not. The course began and ended in Damascus, VA (southern southern, deep south VA) and covered an out an back loop over 16 miles and change and had about 4000 ft elevation gain/loss. I knew it would be a very hard race, but it's my birthday and I'll run if I want to. :)
So here it is, the Iron Mountain 16 Mile Trail Race Re-cap:
So I drove down from DC on Friday and it took forever. Forever being about 7 hours. On the bright side, I-81 south is the route I always used to take to drive down to the college where I did 3/4s of my undergraduate studies. So I know the road, the stops, and I really enjoy the beautiful views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. It's funny because as it turns out this race was located only an hour and 1/2 away from my old school's campus. What's even funnier was I met another alum while running, but I'll get to that later. So I got into town, picked up my race bib (#137), ate dinner (a cheeseburger and fries from the famous Dot's Inn - Note: I have not been consistent with my pre-race meals since my boyfriend and I's first date the night before the Columbia MD 1/2 Marathon in 2010), and prepped the tent (it's this HUGE tent house with like 4 rooms so all 5 of us fit). Yes, 5 of us; I managed to convince 4 friends to come with me and also run in this birthday adventure. Yeay for like-minded running buddies! :) So after getting the tent all set up, I got all of my stuff ready for the next day and laid it all out on the front seat in my truck so that everything was ready to go in the morning. Then I fell asleep pretty quickly, because I was exhausted from all the driving and plus, I sleep better out in the country.
I woke up the next morning at 4am. 4 A.M.!!! I was annoyed that my body decided that it needed to be up that early, but it's whatever. My body has its quirks, one of which is waking up 2 hours earlier than whatever the discussed wake up time is on race day. So I laid in my sleeping bag and pulled on my USMC sweater and looked at all the stars from the mesh netting on top of my "room" of the tent for a long while. Finally around 5am, I got up and went to go sit in the truck and mentally prep for the race. To be honest, I had no idea what to expect, but I knew that I was gonna do my best so I wanted to get in that frame of mind. So I sat wrapped in a blanket, eating my Frosted Flakes cereal, hydrating on some H2O and Gatorade, and thought about why I run. Then finally everyone else started waking up, and we took turns changing in the tent for privacy. I chose to wear my Adidas racing flats because they have been my long run shoe for a long time and I thought it'd best to go with what you know/love. I wore a thicker pair of socks so that my feet had extra cushioning. For shorts, I wore this pair of Nike racing shorts that I like for long runs, but hadn't yet raced in. Somehow though I knew they'd be fine. For my shirt, I wore the North Face racing top that my boyfriend bought me, as both a reminder of his support and a way to channel his strength. Plus, I knew it would bring me good luck. Then I wrapped up my left ankle with kinetic tape hoping it wouldn't give me any trouble, packed my CamelBak full of fluids (obviously) - Gatorade and H2O mix- and stashed my ID, insurance card (can never be too careful right?), my phone, and a packet of Cherry Blossom Honey Stinger Chews (SO yum) in the pocket. Before I knew it, it was time to head over to the race start. We all had to check in also. In ultras, there is a massive emphasis on checking in, because they want to make sure they don't loose folks out on the trail. You also check in at each aid station. Anyway, we got the the start and checked in and then hung out, stretching and pinning on our bibs (What, what #137!?!) before the 7 am start.
![]() |
| The Crew |
![]() |
| Abi and I (white shirt) at the beginning of the race |
![]() |
| Climbing up 4000ft of switchbacks, but always smiling. :) |
![]() |
| Tired and sweaty from climbing/running! |
Thanks to Andy, before I knew it we were at the second aid station and turn around point for the 16 mile runners. I did the call-and-response check in with the bib numbers and headed over to get more Gatorade in my hand-held bottle. Turns out they didn't have any lemon-lime Gatorade at this aid station, so I had the choice of water only or red/blue Gatorade mixed with water. So banking on the fact that I knew I'd need more electrolytes I went with the red Gatorade/water mix, and hoped it wouldn’t bother my stomach, switching up the tastes. Then I headed over to the "food" table. Now if there was only one reason that I could give you to convince you why trail/ultra running is better than all other forms of competitive sport: it is the FOOD!!! Oh man, there was this HUGE table and on it were bowls of the following: M&Ms, peanut M&Ms, gummy bears, red and green grapes, orange slices, pretzels, chips, 1/4 PB&J sandwiches, 1/4 ham and cheese sandwiches, mountain dew/coke/ginger ale sodas, and probably some other amazing treats that I forgot about. Seriously, I was in heaven. After munching on my chews all morning (and a pathetic attempt to eat my sports beans - let's just say I won’t be taking those on my 50K in Oct), I was so happy to have other flavors and tastes. But what is funny is what your body decides it needs/wants at that point in a race. Granted I was only 9 miles in, but I was feeling pretty beat. I had One single M&M and was like, oh no, can't eat that. I found this really weird because I thought I'd love some M&Ms. But sadly, no. On the bright side I put away 2 handfuls of gummy bears, 4 or 5 of the PB&J ¼ sandwich things, and had a handful of green grapes. I was so hungry, but those were the only things that struck my brain as appealing. So I rolled with it. I’ve decided when to pick my battles with my brain on runs and at that aid station it was allowed whatever it wanted.
Then we were off again (Andy and I) first walking back up the path that descended to the aid station and then running again once we hit flat ground. While heading back, I saw Abi and gave her a high five and wished her good luck. I was doing okay for about 30 minutes and then my stomach began to rebel. I tried to keep going but I had no choice and had to walk. So I said goodbye to Andy and wished her good luck in the rest of her race. She tried to encourage me to keep running with her, but we still had about 6 miles left to go and I was a bit worried about my stomach. And then I was alone. It was weird to suddenly be all by one’s self. The only noises I heard were the wind in the trees and a bird here and there. I walked for a while, but I was feeling really bad, like alien in my stomach bad. So finally in this sunny spot (see picture below) I just stopped for a few minutes. I took some pictures, ate a few chews, drank the Gatorade, and willed my body to start working properly again. Also let me mention that this is the ONLY time during the race that I became aware of my surroundings and took notice of the beautiful place I was in. I was running along this incredible trail in the Blue Ridge Mountains, everything was crisply green and lush. The sun was shining through the tree cover making beautiful patterns throughout the forest and it was completely silent. I was a good 5 minutes from Andy, the only person in front of me, and I think the next runner was about 10-15 min behind me. Silence. It was wonderful. Finally after the longest 3 minutes of my life, the cramping stopped and I was able to start running again.
![]() |
| The trail |
![]() |
| I. Love. Running. <3 |
For the next mile I hiked/ran up and up and up, thinking how the HELL am I still going up!?! Honestly, at this point I was pissed because I was tired and my legs were killing me, my feet hurt a ton, and my shins were burning. The last thing I wanted to do was continue climbing up the never ending mountain. Although, on a few of my walk breaks I got to see through the trees down the mountain side and it was quite beautiful. Finally though the uphill climb ended. But, because life and racing is never easy, as I started the 4000ft descent, I realized I was descending was from 4000ft to sea level in just over 1 mile. I cannot even begin to explain to you just how friggin steep this downhill portion was. And to top it off, the ENTIRE path (which was like 6+ feet wide) was covered with loose, and rather decently sized, rocks. So as soon as you got some speed, you would be slipping on the rocks and go crashing to the ground. I slipped on the rocks only once and was like, ‘Screw this; broken limbs is not worth a time goal.’ So that one mile, which if it was just dirt and roots or even just not loose rocks, I could have completed in like 9 minutes or less took me almost 20 minutes to navigate down without getting hurt. Though while I was going downhill I was convinced I heard a swarm of bees chasing after me. When I conferred about this with my friends after the race, I found out that no one else at all heard this swarm of bees. Now looking back on it, I am pretty sure I was having an auditory hallucination of bees. At the last part of downhill, I thought, ‘Ah screw this, I'm almost at the bottom, I’m gonna try to run it,’ So I began leaping and bounding over the loose rocks, feeling my ankles roll again and again. Then my left big toe caught this huge rock (the size of your hand, fingers spread out) and the thing slams back onto the top of my right foot as it’s following forward through a stride, and then I am watching (like in slow motion) as it flies up through the air and crashes down into my right ankle. Blood and immediate bruising resulted. :(
![]() |
| The damage to my right ankle, doesn't look that bad, but it hurt/was bruised for 2 weeks. |
After the crossing the finish line I was immediately directed to go "sit in the creek" to cool down, so I went over to the water, slowly peeled off my shoes and socks, and gingerly made my way into the very cold creek. Ordinarily, I would have just found a rock to sit on and made sure my knees and ankles were under water. But today was special, so I sat right down in the water so that I was waist deep in the creek. The cold water was very refreshing for my tired legs so I stayed there for 20 minutes cooling down. I used that time to send some texts that I finished the race and was alive and watched some little fish nibble at my legs. I have to admit that I felt pretty decent. I was excited about my finish time (coming in under 4 hours was my personal goal that I didn't tell anyone about but secretly hoped for) and that I wasn't in too much pain. It turned out to be a great race and a beautiful day.
After the last of our group came in, we all hung out for an hour or so and decompressed before heading back to the cars and attempted to swim in the creek (fail, we saw a snake), have a mini-birthday celebration, pack the cars up, and then go get lunch/dinner. Linner or Dunch. Anyway, it was definitely a cool experience, and this race helped solidify for me that I love this kind of racing and that ultras is definitely the right route for me as a runner. However, I don't know if I'd do this specific race again next year. Mostly because driving 7 hours for a race now seems ludicrous. Even though I will be going basically to the same place for the 50K in a month. Haha! Well anyway around it, the race was fun for sure.
![]() |
Happy Birthday to me! (Please note that my friends are incredibly clever in that they couldn’t bring cake to a race in the mountains, but they could bring a "Carrot Cake" Clif Bar. :) You guys rock! |
| The elevation profiles of each race on the T-shirt. |
Happy Trails Y'all! :)









No comments:
Post a Comment